Learn SEO from Scratch The Complete Guide
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
- 1 What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
- 2 How to become an SEO specialist?
- 3 Getting a job as an SEO specialist:
Wikipedia’s definition of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is “The process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s unpaid results – often referred to as ‘natural’, ‘organic’, or ‘earned’ results. ”
The search engine results page is divided into two parts: Paid search results and Organic search results. SEO is about reaching high rank in the organic section of the result page.
The one thing that many people don’t understand about the SEO industry is that it’s ever changing. Techniques that worked 5 or even 2 years ago are no longer relevant.
There are a few general guidelines that have been proven as the most effective over the years.
- High quality and original content
- Content social shares
- Great user experience
- High quality links
How to become an SEO specialist?
I would recommend beginning your journey into the world of optimization with Moz 10 chapters SEO beginners guide. The guide has everything from “How search engine operate” to “Measuring and tracking successes” and is easy to read and very informative:
- Moz SEO guide the PDF version is available here.
- Google Analytics Academy has to offer some of the best online courses and training for free:
- Another great place to learn SEO and keep yourself updated is search engine land
Join professional SEO groups on Facebook and LinkedIn, there is a lot you can learn from the professional groups about the day-to-day problems that SEO specialists deal with and it is a great place to ask questions and to get to know others in the field.
Getting a job as an SEO specialist:
Learn the required skills:
Like any job, the hardest thing is to land that first job. We believe that if you know what the employers are looking for, your chances to get the job are much higher. Here are the most required skills (by importers) for Search Engine Optimization positions (according to Reskill after analyzing thousands of job posts) and free resources to learn those skills:
Come prepare for your interview and test your skills:
2. We also wrote a post on SEO interview questions that you should go over before an interview.